Not news, but important - Ebay scam

1. 17,849 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 145
    Hi - I just now (1:30 Thursday 29/4) had a phone call from a woman with an Asian accent telling me she/they had found some scammers on my e-bay account using gift cards to withdraw money - or similar - I had trouble understanding her. Further questions in an increasingly urgen sounding voice: 'Did I know anyone in California? Had I sent some money via Ebay?' - I said: no - and got concerned. Firstly, how did she get hold of my phone number and secondly, I knew Ebay wouldn't call people like that. and hung up!

I than rang the number again - it was 07 30659100 - this time a man answered and there was sufficient background noise to convince me it was some kind of call center I was dealing with - maybe scamming on an industrial scale, or just a sound wizardry to give the right impression - he upped the call to sounding very sincere and wanted to know if I had written out a gift card for $99? I said no, he said, I needed to do something about it because the next demand would be for $299 - (how did he know that, if it wasn't them doing the stealing) and I had 20 minutes to fix it.
    I hung up and reported it to Scamwatch.gov.au : i.e.basically I just filled in an on-line form.

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.