KZA 0.00% 8.0¢ kazia therapeutics limited

re: novogen... incredible Hi Veg,Sorry to hear about your loved...

1. 3,567 Posts.
    re: novogen... incredible Hi Veg,

Sorry to hear about your loved one. I too lost a friend from cancer (stomach cancer), tried to get him on Phenoxodiol but they said it was too late for him (he died a few days later).

Unfortunately the Phase I trials just didn't pump up the dosage high enough. It seems some cancer types in human testing are more sensitive than others.

Novogen has stated they need to get the dosage level such that the concentration in the blood is at least 5ug/ml.

To date we have seen 3 stage I trials. The first was using a bolus injection i.e. they inject a dose in the patient, one injection once a week. The drug stayed in the body for only 2 hours before being metabolised and hence losing it's effective cancer killing form. I believe this is the trial where the renal cancer patient was kept alive. So most patients here did get above the critical 5ug/ml barrier but only for 2 hours in the week i.e. about 1% of the week. Novogen expected this trial to have the least effect due to it's low intensity. A number of patients had their cancers stabilised and one is still alive some 3 years later.

Another trial at Cleavland involved a continuous intravenous injection i.e. they just keep pumping the drug into your body via pump. They were able to keep steady drug levels in the blood with zero toxicity. The results for the first 10 patients were released and it was reported 6 out of 10 patients had their cancers stopped. However the patients here only got below 3mg/kg/day which is well below the 5ug/ml needed. The results for the doses 3-40mg/kg/day has not been released.

Another continuous intravenous trial was carried out at RPA hospital in Sydney. Here the trial was using 1, 5, 10, 16, 25, 33, 40mg/kg/day. Patients only got up to the critical 5ug/ml in the final patients enrolled i.e. the dose was mainly still below the levels expected by Novogen to have an effect. This trial was completed and the results were withheld pending publication in a medical journal/conference. This is suspicious as if the results were poor/average they wouldn't bother publishing them (in my opinion).

"The Australian arm of the study used dosages ranging from 2- 40 mg/kg/day. That study
    finished in July 2002, and the data currently is being evaluated. The results of this study have not been made public by the hospital concerned pending presentation of the data at a future scientific conference and publication in a scientific journal.

However, it is possible to confirm that no toxicities were reported in the 24 patients in the study and that the study met its objectives in confirming achievement of steady-state levels of drug over the period of treatment. A number of patients also were able to continue on therapy beyond six treatment cycles without disease progression. "

So in summary I think Phase I trials were a raging success. It proved that the drug was bio available, non toxic and it was able to be maintained in the body for any amount of time. It had an anti cancer effect on some patients and we still haven't seen the results from the higher dose trials.

Phase II have chosen cancers where the fundamental cause of cancer is the malfunction of the apoptotic pathway i.e. Ovarian, leukemia etc.

Anyway, for a better understanding best to read through the novogen website i.e. the announcements section. Hope this helps.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add KZA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.