nsw deputy premier resigns

1. 58,089 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    ABC Online;
    New South Wales Deputy Premier and Treasurer Dr Andrew Refshauge is quitting politics.

It is the second shock resignation within the Carr Government in under a week.

After entering politics at the same time of outgoing Premier Bob Carr more than two decades ago, Dr Refshauge has announced he is getting out.

He is resigning altogether as Deputy Premier, as Treasurer and as an MP as of next Wednesday.

Dr Refshauge has come under pressure from ALP head office over the past week to relinquish his role and make way for generational change.

The treasury portfolio was also in grave doubt in new premier Morris Iemma's reshuffle of the frontbench.

Mr Iemma will officially be elected as premier later today.

He is expected to reveal some of his policy ideas, including his plans for the vendor tax on investment properties.

Dr Refshauge has explained the reasons behind his decision.

"I've decided that the time is right for me to move onto other things," he said.

"What they will be I don't know, but the time is right to move.

"I think it's been enormous privilege to have been able to serve the people of this state for the past 20-odd years."

Opposition

Opposition Deputy Leader Barry O'Farrell says it seems Dr Refshauge was pushed from his position.

"I think it re-enforces for the people of New South Wales, in the shrewd heads that they were Bob Carr and Andrew Refshauge, [they] know things in New South Wales are going to get worse," he said.

"I think that the Premier [Carr] picked that and chose his own time to leave - the Deputy Premier [Refshauge] had to be given some encouragement.

"Clearly we've seen in the Labor Caucus, well clearly in the Left Caucus, more knife work than you do in a steakhouse."

Dave R.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.