Agree to disagree then. I see the far-right and white...

1. 717 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 23
    Agree to disagree then. I see the far-right and white nationalists (not "supremacist" as I wrote above, my apologies) as a new faction of the Liberals that is outside the range of even John Howard's "broad church". They are committed to dragging the party away from the Menzian centre-right and are prepared to do the Party great damage in the process.

They are genuine insurgents in that sense and they are prepared to rely on the "pendulum" swinging back from Labor to achieve power and are taking an extreme "winner-take-all" approach to dominating Party branches and preselections. Their template and inspiration is the Republican controlled States in the US where we are seeing Christian dogma replacing school curriculums, book banning, demonisation of minorities, voter suppression and the undermining of democratic electoral processes. Some of those tactics would be much harder in Australia, but not impossible if you first stack the courts and police forces.

Remember that Labor spent a long time purging itself of extremists on both ends of the spectrum and its factional system is set up to share the "spoils" rather that beat the other side into submission.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.