MEL 0.00% 0.4¢ metgasco ltd

nsw govt dismisses labor/green recommendations, page-5

1. 43 Posts.
    In my opinion, the industry is infamous for hiding data. i think most of the regulations are based on old, outdated and just flat out incorrect data provided by the companies who write the regulations themselves and get the government to rubber stamp their demands. This is what is causing a lot of the trouble in the red hot activist area that Metgascos area of operations is in. The govt. ignoring over half of the findings of the inquiry have really fanned those flames.

i think treating the educated and intelligent people of the Northern Rivers like Nigerian villagers only does further damage to the companies chance to extract gas here. This could be why the existing gas companies are treating them like lepers. They know it's different here, there is large opposition that could get ugly and might affect their companies reputation and affect their operations in other areas like QLD for little return.

I really think the lack of complete data is the only thing that is holding up the house of cards, esp. in the Northern Rivers.

But that's changing..

Currently Dr Gavin Mudd is in the Metgasco PEL area giving lectures on the impacts on groundwater of coal seam gas.

He says the longer term environmental risks haven't been assessed that well.

He cites effects on groundwater, the quality and management of wastewater and fugitive emissions as areas where the research effort has been lacking.

"There's a whole bunch of things in the research field where we would like to see extensive data to back up various claims, are really missing at the moment so I think that's a big weakness."

Dr Mudd says much of the research that has been conducted into shale gas in the USA is relevant to Australian CSG operations because mining techniques are virtually same.

"If things are going wrong in America it can certainly be useful for us to understand some of the issues that are going on in Australia. It's not something that we can say 'oh because it's America it's different.'

"I think we need to be very careful and take note of some of the work that's coming out."

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/11/08/3628589.htm

And next week Dr Isaac Santos and Dr Damien Maher will be giving a lecture on the air emissions and related impacts of coal seam gas.

We have performed snapshot surveys of methane concentrations in the atmosphere and creeks near Tara in Southern Queensland and in the Richmond River catchment in Northern NSW," Dr Maher said.

"The concentrations of methane were much higher in the atmosphere and creek waters around Tara than in Northern NSW."

" Dr Santos said the lecture would report on original scientific results to be published in peer reviewed scientific journals in the coming months.

"The current discussions on CSG are often based on anecdotal evidence, old observations not designed to assess CSG or data obtained overseas.

"The lack of site-specific baseline data is staggering."

He said the aim of the lecture was to convey complex scientific concepts in a simple and understandable manner. "

http://www.echonews.com.au/news/csg-linked-to-possible-methane-rises/1612847/

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MEL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.4¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $5.790M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
15 24051602 0.3¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
0.4¢ 6069159 6
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.12pm 15/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MEL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.