thank you. the last leader to grow the economy organically was...

1. 41,725 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    thank you.

the last leader to grow the economy organically was Robert Menzies following progressive economics. centre right stuff. Hawke and Keating tried to do it and overheated the economy causing two recessions, although the "recession we had to have" was not entirely of Keating's making. Then Howard pushed all buttons but still couldn't get the economy truly moving until they started immigration work visas..... you recall the debates? Howard's Big Australia plan?

despite the 457s and all the other diversity of visas for contract, cheap labour and science/technology expertise since 2013 our economy has been slowly sinking.

I read an excellent article by Michael Janda about how Dr Lowe's speech yesterday will be impacted by immigration and I saw an error in my thinking on this whole issue. I saw the link between immigration and 'taking Australian jobs'., this policy has been a big push down on wages. Any growth has been due to higher paid management, only imo, and such.

so yes, I'm against the idea of severely limiting immigration because I believe in a true fair go for others around the planet.... but I'm compelled to agree that, for the sake of wages growth and the strength of the economy, I now consider that we do need to restrict immigration.

the fault of over-population is founded on medical and nutritional advances across the world. bearing in mind that its not even 100 years since human's first conquered bacteria and now we're defeating viruses en masse across the planet, population growth is set to explode.

Now I'm dead against the Lifeboat theory of Malthus in the 18th century, but this is set to become incredibly difficult to manage within 20 years.

its a monumental ethical issue.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.