SLX 6.21% $5.13 silex systems limited

As you say "let's compare them on the same basis". The Renewable...

1. zog
    2,879 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 843
    As you say "let's compare them on the same basis". The Renewable Energy Target (RET) means that AEMO must take electricity from renewable energy and leave the scraps to base load who cannot take their generation below limited thresholds, takes start up time and knocks the hell out of the machinery by being ramped up and down to cater for the scraps as "tail end charlie". The the Victorian government asserts that it will not pay for capacity and standby meaning that baseload generators do not get paid for idle or low load conditions - no wonder they want to throw in the towel as they have done in the UK. Furthermore "inertia" is required for grid frequency/load stability - renewables (apart from pumped hydro - not usually generation largely storage) is essential - without the kinetic energy in the rotating machinery (not inverters for windmills/solar) grid stability will go haywire. I wish we had engineers making decisions rather than ecologists, sustainability, environmentalists and worst of all politicians like Chris Bowen who make highly misleading and incorrect utterances like "it's just a joke - they propose the most expensive; nuclear". It's all a bit like going out an buying a cheap car which will only work on some days between 9am and 3pm and always goes on strike at night or when the wind decides to blow. To me renewables (without other ***bins) you have to compare on a like for like and add to the cost all the system components needed to supplement them (i.e batteries - with 10 years life, grid extensions to remote locations, land, synchronous condensers (for inertia), pumped hydro (like Snowy 2 now over budget at $5,1Bn and maybe 2026 and 80% round trip efficiency) and back up turbines (fired highly inefficiently with green hydrogen or ammonia fuel belching noxious nitrous oxides) that are needed about 4 times a year for 3 consecutive days when the wind decides not to blow and there is little sunshine (i.e in the winter).
    If you want to compare like with like then both options need to carry a 24/7/365 liability and the same supply priority - then lets see which is the cheapest. I'm not against renewables but there are "horses for courses" and a mix is necessary only Sewell64 wants to live in a dark cold cave without a candle (that produces CO2 - I just hopes he also holds his breath indefinitely (that produces CO2 and farts into a bag eliminating fugitive methane emissions).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SLX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.13
Change
0.300(6.21%)
Mkt cap ! $1.212B
Open High Low Value Volume
$4.89 $5.14 $4.85 $6.019M 1.195M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 283 $5.12

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$5.13 32506 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/03/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$5.08
  Change
0.300 ( 5.51 %)
Open High Low Volume
$4.91 $5.13 $4.85 128561
Last updated 15.59pm 28/03/2024 ?
SLX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.