SLX 6.21% $5.13 silex systems limited

Below is what Criticality means, I am assuming that if they had...

1. 20,094 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1773
    Below is what Criticality means, I am assuming that if they had more than 60Kg of enriched Uranium 235 to 3.5% then they would have a problem, which I reckon would only get worse if the enrichment is a larger figure, like say 10%, as you can see below -: These measures concern all operations performed on materials used in the fuel cycle, ranging from uranium when enriched with more than 1% uranium-235 to irradiated fuels and waste materials resulting from reprocessing.

My question is this, if Paducah was only going to enrich to 1%, would that be a problem wrt to criticality? why would they need a data base to monitor it, this is partly why I reckon they will be enriching well above that 1% somehow? and hence they want to keep a database to record what the criticality point is in order for them to stay below that figure?

https://www.irsn.fr/EN/Research/Research-Themes/Pages/Criticality-risk-analysis-1103.aspx

Criticality risk analysis

Criticality risk - What is it ?

Fissile nuclear materials can, under certain conditions, sustain fission chain reactions (uranium-235 and plutonium-239 are the main materials used for this purpose). It is this particular property that is employed for the production of energy in nuclear reactors. Fission reactions generate intense gamma and neutron radiation.
    Fissile materials are handled outside nuclear reactors (laboratories, plants, transportation) and therefore involve a specific risk: the criticality risk. This is the risk of satisfying the conditions required to initiate and sustain a chain reaction. For example, it arises when handling more than 60 kg of uranium enriched with 3.5% uranium-235.
    In order to prevent this risk, specific measures are required, including analyses and studies at every stage of operation. These measures concern all operations performed on materials used in the fuel cycle, ranging from uranium when enriched with more than 1% uranium-235 to irradiated fuels and waste materials resulting from reprocessing.
    In France, this risk has been studied from the outset of development work on nuclear material research and production activities.

Fields of study at IRSN

IRSN research conducted on criticality risk covers:
    · development and qualification of calculation tools,
    · expertise, technical support for IRSN units in charge of safety assessments for plants and fissile material transport,
    · applied criticality analyses of a general nature or specifically requested by plant operators and designers,
    · theoretical and experimental research to increase current knowledge of criticality risk.

Reminder

A chain reaction takes place when fission of a fissile nucleus , caused by neutron absorption, gives rise to the emission of a several neutrons (2.5 in the case of a uranium-235 atom, 2.39 in the case of plutonium-239). In addition to fission itself, other events can also affect a neutron's lifetime, i.e., its capture by an atomic absorber element (for example, reactor control rods contain absorber elements such as borium or uranium-238, the latter transforming into plutonium-239 after the capture), and leakage outside the fissile environment. If the number of neutrons emitted during a given period of time is equal to (or greater than) the number of neutrons lost due to capture or leakage, the system is considered critical (or supercritical).
    The unit of measurement used in criticality is Keff, the effective neutron multiplication factor:
    This factor characterizes the "criticality state" of the fissile environment studied.
    Keff = number of neutrons produced / number of neutrons lost (through leakage or absorption).
    - if Keff = 1: critical environment,
    - if Keff > 1: supercritical environment,
    - if Keff < 1: subcritical environment.
    A fission chain reaction can only be sustained if Keff is greater than or equal to 1. Nuclear facilities other than reactors and fuel transport must therefore always be kept in subcritical condition, with sufficient safety margins.

IRSN criticality analyses mainly focus on risks concerning nuclear facilities other than PWRs, as well as transport.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SLX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.13
Change
0.300(6.21%)
Mkt cap ! $1.212B
Open High Low Value Volume
$4.89 $5.14 $4.85 $6.019M 1.195M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 283 $5.12

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$5.13 32506 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/03/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$5.08
  Change
0.300 ( 5.51 %)
Open High Low Volume
$4.91 $5.13 $4.85 128561
Last updated 15.59pm 28/03/2024 ?
SLX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.