Nuclear Power, page-3

1. 4,359 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    Solar home battery storage discussion cross posted from my car type chat forum

Morgan Stanley predict up to 1000000 homes will have batteries at home over the next 4 years. If SA and other places keep blacking out then it will be more. Victoria almost lost power last week during NSW heatwaves. I put some batteries in at work. (flow batteries not the fire risks types) Even load shifting I am doing has a reasonable payback time for a business.

I also have Solar PV which covers me 99% in most of spring, all of summer and much of Autumn during day light +2 hours and -2 from sunset for me at work.
    I Fully agree with renewable for all they can give and put my money where my mouth is. I do or have got a great ROI.

Its the wholeworld with out enough cash to splurge on everyone needing good longterm non polluting power which are building N plants faster than everbefore. I note almost every single solar systems in Australia costs more than one Nuclear plant and the combined annual Solar PVproduction is nothing compared to about 1kg of uranium in poweroutput

As at September 2016, Australia had over5,440 megawatts (MW) of installed photovoltaic (PV) solar power- (data from Wiki so might or might not be rubbish)

24,000 Mw from 1 kg ofuranium-235. uranium-235 contains two to three million times the energy equivalent of oil or coal and zerocarbon.

In 2015, the world’s total uranium production was 60,514 tonnes. Last timeI checked no nuclear wars occurred so I assume the world benefited by about 24,000 Mw times 60514000kg (might be LB of course) so about 1452336000000mw of noncarbon electrical generation. This is a bit of an exaggeration as refining from raw uranium would remove a few Kgs.

My poorly made point is no amount of money in solar will be equal to a few kilo of uranium. I also think Nuclear needs to have significant safe guards and much more research to improve and remove the waste issues it creates.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.