nz has gay marriage oz next?, page-254

1. asf
    9,887 Posts.
    misty, I am a female in a relationship with another female, not that it matters to this discussion. Sometimes I just make comments on these types of threads because I hear people say stuff that has no bearing on my life, and I wonder where on earth they are coming from! Because about 2/3 of Aussies are supprtive of gay marriage, then I assume a whole lot of people who are straight have waged in on the whole notion- just like a lot of non-Aboriginals would have spoken out in their support of Aboriginal enfranchisement. They would have made similar points: "That dilutes the importance of voting now- can't they call it something else? Maybe something like "Aboriginal Election Participation- but not "voting"- that's for me, not them"; "those Aboriginals aren't worthy of voting"; "stop shoving it down my throat- who cares anyway? They area small minority- haven't we got more important things to think about?" "Loony lefties want Aboriginals to vote. Most of us don't want it- we are the silent majority". Etc, etc. Now, we take it for granted that all Aussies get the vote. Just like in probably less than a decade, we will see that all Australians can get married- sexuality notwithstanding, and that life will go on. Give these young ones a generation or so, and they will not believe that in the past, gay marriage was banned. Just like we can't believe that Aboriginal voting was banned in the past.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.