nz priest marries boyfriend

1. 23,528 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    June 15, 2008 05:07pm

A NEW Zealand Anglican priest has triggered a huge row by "marrying" his chaplain boyfriend. .

The ceremony took place in a traditional ceremony conducted in one of London's oldest churches

Britain's first gay "wedding" celebrated by clerics, it has triggered a major controversy in the Anglican church there.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has explicitly banned formal blessings of same-sex partnerships, especially if they resemble marriage.

The Rev Dr David Lord, formerly of Hamilton, walked down the aisle with hospital chaplain the Rev Peter Cowell, 50, at the 12th-century St Bartholomew the Great Church, in the City of London.

The church's rector, the Rev Martin Dudley, defied his bishop to conduct the traditional ceremony for the two gay priests, London's Sunday Times reported.

There were bridesmaids and best men, an exchange of vows and rings, and a showering of rose-petal confetti. Only the bride was missing from the ceremony attended by 300 guests.

A Church of England spokesman said last night that it was a "fairly serious" breach of the House of Bishops' strict guidance on same-sex ceremonies.

Liberal clergy have flouted the rules by including prayers for same-sex couples during ordinary services, but full-length ceremonies are unprecedented.

Although not recognised in law or authorised by the church hierarchy, the service will be seen by many to be a spiritually valid blessing.

It will stoke the fury of conservatives who are threatening to split the worldwide Anglican Church if liberals are not brought to heel.

"I certainly didn't do it to defy anyone," Rev Dudley said.

"I have done what I believe is right."

A champagne reception was held in the Great Hall of St Bartholomew's Hospital, where Dr Lord, an ordained priest, works as a doctor. It is there they met five years ago.

- NZPA

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.