MMX 0.00% 4.7¢ murchison metals ltd

oakajee and yilgarn

1. 1,565 Posts.
    change of topic taken from newspaper in WA.

Premier pledges mining support

14th October 2008, 10:15 WST

Premier Colin Barnett has pledged to work with Mid-West miners on a project-by-project basis to help the emerging resources industry weather the global economic meltdown.

Visiting Geraldton for the first time since he was elected Premier in September, Mr Barnett said his Government would help secure the future of the Mid-West resources industry as well as take a lead role in ensuring the Oakajee port and rail network was a success.

He told the Geraldton Guardian at the weekend that his Government would work to both expedite the approvals process to help start-up Mid-West mining projects move to production, and secure Oakajee’s future.

“We will deal with projects directly and we’ll sort out problems,” he said.

“That is my history as a former minister and that is what I’ll do as Premier. I will look at project by project and get them going.

“I don’t think they have missed the window of opportunity. The long-term outlook for mining projects in this State is still very, very strong.

“As the Chinese and Indian economies continue to grow strongly the demand for what we produce will be there.”

Mr Barnett will meet with Oakajee Port and Rail, and Yilgarn Infrastructure to try to foster the co-operation he claimed was vital for the success of the planned deepwater port at Oakajee.

“Building the port — I think we know what needs to be done there," Mr Barnett said.

"It’s going to be expensive but it’s a port — it can be built.

“Bringing all the parties together to work co-operatively and to actually align themselves, to do that will be the challenge.

"That’s what I intend to spend a fair bit of time on between now and Christmas.”

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MMX (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.