LKO 0.00% $1.00 lakes blue energy nl

offshore interests to be spun off into new ipo

1. 2,834 Posts.
    I'm working my way thru the prospectus.

Short version ...

Lakes et al spin off a new IPO, which pays in at 2:1 to win 50-odd% of Lakes' offshore exploration territory.

Lakes will own a whack of 20c options in Gippsland - how many depends on how much money Gippsland raises.

Lakes (aka Petrotech) will burn down to 26% of Gilbert block, 39% of Vic/P40 and 46% of PEP155.

This deal isnt making me throw up the way Moby Oil did, but it's the same style - spin off a subsiduary, have it pay in to your dirt at a premium, and then IPO it ... as opposed to the parent issuing more shares to fund the exploration.

I'd say the 2:1 is acceptable for brownfields offshore stuff.

Gilbert is going to cost $5.5m, so if Gilbert misses there arent a lot more shots in the locker for Gippsland on a $8-$12m raising (offshore is brutal that way).

The independant geo is saying Gilbert looks to be about 50 mmbl P50 oil recoverable, or 40-odd bcf of gas (60:40 chance for oil). He's calling the odds at 3.8:1, which is decent for exploration (NB this equates to about a 25% chance of a hit). FWIW, the geological story looks decent.

With Gippsland being spun off, that means a miss at Gilbert wont affect Lakes much, but a hit is worth 26% of the find - 10-12 mmbo if you're lucky, 10-12 bcf of gas if you arent.

EBR and MOG will 10% each of Gilbert, with Gippsland having 51% and Rilo (aka Stellar, Gravity Capital's spinoff - they are the Falcoln gravity survey guys) having the last 3%.

I think this is a good deal for Lakes if the IPO gets up (which it should in this market), but I'd need to crunch numbers on who the best entry is.

Ian Whitchurch

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LKO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.