PET 0.00% 2.5¢ phoslock environmental technologies limited

On volatility

1. 425 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 454

I wanted to comment on the volatility that some have mentioned recently.

We are currently the 6th fastest growing stock in the All Ords over the last 12 months. Take a look at any All Ords stock that has grown by 200% or more in the last 12 months and you will see the same sort of volatility, sometimes drastically more. This is a massive growth stock and volatility is par for the course, even guaranteed.

To demonstrate what this sort of growth achieves, and why it creates volatility, I will use my own case. In September 2015 I topped up on this stock at 2.4c. It is now valued at more than 60 times that amount. An average growth rate of 180% (2.8 x the price every year) assuming a SP of $1:47 in September. My $11k is now worth around $700k in just 4 years and every step of the way I must decide what to do. This is mind blowing, life changing growth and thousands of people just like me are watching every day trying to figure out whether to buy, hold, sell, take profits, balance portfolios, pay off their house, retire....... Add to this some crazy, eye watering announcements and 1000 different interpretations of these announcements and how they will effect growth potential etc. and you have a real powder keg.

To say that this stock is volatile is 100% accurate even an understatement. To say that it is more volatile than its peers or more volatile than you would expect is misinformed to say the least.

If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen. Or buy Woolworths. And lie to yourself that it is not volatile.
    Over the last 10 years they have achieved an annual return of just 1.9% growth (plus dividends). For that growth you have had to endure a 21% drop followed by a 66% increase then a 47% drop followed by another 75% increase and of course a whole bunch of smaller daily movements that are greater than its average annual growth. Sound like volatility to me.

Last edited by redram: 14/08/19

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PET (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.