AVL 5.88% 1.6¢ australian vanadium limited

Scarpa did great calculation regarding Vanadium Energy Balance &...

1. 6,585 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3569
    Scarpa did great calculation regarding Vanadium Energy Balance & Price as follows:

Courtesy of Scarpa:

“Many know, my view is that the primary currentdemand for vanadium is steel, and I don't see vanadium batteries adding tovanadium demand in any scale until the mid-2020s.  

I have been intrigued by this post, especially the 10 tonnesof vanadium required for 1 MWh of storage (and I suspect that when we talk 1MWh we are referring to at least 20 years’ worth of the 1 MWh storage used morethan once a day btw as that is the only thing that makes sense to me in aviability sense here with that number). 

I thought I would do some calcs over a VB, sosurely will stuff them up,  given I haven't got a clue what I am rabbitingabout here as vanadium batteries are new too me and not something I haveactually looked into myself as my interest in vanadium is in steel, so othersmight want to add to get debate here.  

The conclusion I come to is at US$15 per pound vanadium price(A$20 per pound) the 10 tonnes of vanadium in 1 MWh equates to a vanadiumcontent of A$440,800 (before other capex) (m. below in the excelspreadsheet).  Note: wholesale electricity prices in NSW are about $90 perMWh, whilst retail prices are around $0.33 per KWh (or roughly $330 per MWh)hence why I say the data been shown of 10 tonne vanadium for 1 MWh essentiallymeans 1 continuous MWh over many years etc.

If the vanadium batteries can 'be used' 12 hours per day(meaning the 1 MW capacity stores and releases 12 MWh  each day) (pointc.), then the fuel cost alone is some   $0.006  per kWh produced over20 year life (point p.) or $0.118 (if analysing on a 1 year basis) (pointq).  Multiply these numbers by 1000 to get to the  installed vanadiumcapacity for the 1 MWh capacity (and just for the vanadium and not the othercapex in the battery and not sure how big and costly that is either btw).

Will do more research over time as I move from steel tobatteries but thought I would provide this post and calcs to give context tothe diagram in the post etc.  Obviously, the batteries will be bigger andfar bigger than 1 MW (which produces 1 MWh continuously based on discharge andstorage objectives….”

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AVL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
1.6¢
Change
-0.001(5.88%)
Mkt cap ! $137.8M
Open High Low Value Volume
1.7¢ 1.7¢ 1.6¢ $111.7K 6.944M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
40 17087735 1.6¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
1.7¢ 12994517 46
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 26/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
AVL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.