Jezza, I was involved in many scoping and feasibility studies in...

1. 3,050 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 144
    Jezza,
    I was involved in many scoping and feasibility studies in my mining career and I reckon only one of them was mine constrained (U/G project at 1Mtpa) and only one or two were mill constrained - because they were using existing plants. All of the rest were resource/reserve constrained.
    The size of most small to medium sized mining projects are limited by the extent of the genuinely strong economic, good cash flow producing ore that they have found.
    It is also the convention of the industry that mining companies rush their projects into production as soon as they have 5 or 6 years worth defined, as that is what banks need to provide financing, and also what the shareholders want so as to avoid ongoing dilution by capital raisings.
    Occasionally big new deposits are found and the optionality in relation to cut-off grade management is much greater. But these are uncommon. Stockpiling low grade ore near the marginal cut-off grade is very much standard procedure in the industry and has been for many years, but it will only produce material profit if commodity prices change materially. This most often occurs only many years/decades later and quite often after there has been a change or two in mine ownership.
    Cheers
    Gosouth

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.