INR 0.00% 18.0¢ ioneer ltd

Despite the negativity surrounding the coming of the mine, some...

1. 1,305 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 157
    Despite the negativity surrounding the coming of the mine, some are showing their support as outlined below.

TOP STORY

Commentary: TellBLM about the importance of Ioneer project

• Dec 26, 2022

JONI EASTLEY

Like many frontier Nevada communities, Tonopah is often eitheroverlooked or dismissed as the midway point between Reno and Las Vegas. As aformer Nye County Commissioner and current member of the boards of directors ofboth Nevada Rural Housing Authority and Rural Nevada Development Corporation, Iam continually reminded of the tendency to overlook frontier communities andhave dedicated my career to amplifying frontier voices and taking stands onissues that directly impact us.

This brings me to Dyer, Nevada, located within Fish Lake Valley (FLV).Dyer is about 40 miles southwest of Tonopah along the White Mountains inEsmeralda County. This lovely little community is steeped in rich, naturalresources and populated with resilient locals who love their town. Recently,FLV has been the epicenter of a national conversation regarding lithium mining.An emerging lithium-boron producer, Ioneer Ltd., is working to develop alithium and boron quarry and production facility at nearby Rhyolite Ridge,which holds the largest-known lithium-boron deposit in North America and is oneof only two known deposits in the world.

Although Dyer, like Tonopah, is often overlooked, her residents are nowcenterstage in the nation’s quest for lithium. Besides bringing major economicbenefits to Dyer, Esmeralda County, and the region at large, the Rhyolite RidgeLithium-Boron Project can produce enough lithium to power 400,000 electricvehicles per year, thereby paving the road to a sustainable future. Since Chinacurrently produces the vast majority of refined lithium materials, this projectwill also reduce our dependency on foreign imports.

Central Nevada faces an overwhelming number of challenges from qualityeducation to healthcare and housing – increased economic development is thepath towards improving these conditions. The Rhyolite Ridge Project willrevitalize FLV and the surrounding communities by creating hundreds of quality,family-sustaining jobs, promoting local spending by Ioneer employees andfostering a rich environment for business start-ups. FLV residents have beenlargely supportive of the Project, but the voices of those most directlyaffected are being drowned out by a small, incredibly vocal minority. If youhave lived in a frontier community, you’ve seen it happen again and again.

So, with all these benefits, what exactly is the hold-up? Well, it’s alittle flower called Tiehm’s buckwheat. This recently discovered species isfound only in the Silver Peak Range, and environmental groups like the Centerfor Biological Diversity (CBD) have been fighting tooth and nail to haltprogress on the Rhyolite Ridge Project because of it. This unnecessary fighthas drained financial resources and impeded development that would greatlybenefit the Central Nevada region.

In response to concerns regarding Tiehm’s buckwheat, Ioneer has investedconsiderable resources into the stewardship of the species and is working incoordination with the Fish and Wildlife Service and the Bureau of LandManagement, along with academics and scientists, to develop the bestunderstanding of the species and prove it can be successfully managed alongsideIoneer’s planned operations. To this end, Ioneer redesigned its mine to avoidall direct impacts to the buckwheat, hired a full-time botanist, and built adedicated greenhouse to grow it.

If the Project never comes to fruition, who else would invest the fundsneeded to protect a plant that is already threatened due to drought and naturalpredators? Would the state or federal government do it? Would CBD or any othernon-governmental organization do so? Think back to how many times our area hasbeen overlooked and dismissed, and you have your answer.

Despite the best efforts of opponents over the past three years, Iremain committed, alongside Ioneer, to amplify local voices and advocate fordevelopment that will improve our chances for prosperity and create new avenuesto succeed. I have personally known Ioneer to be a meaningful community partnerthat supports our causes, works with our local officials, and displays completetransparency.

I encourage all citizens of Tonopah, Fish Lake Valley, Goldfield and thebroader region to submit a letter of support to the BLM as it’s now open forpublic comment. Local voices need to be heard – not those of a small minoritywho would encourage others to once again overlook and dismiss our communitieswhen our needs are so great.

https://elkodaily.com/opinion/columnists/commentary-tell-blm-about-the-importance-of-ioneer-project/article_af9e92d2-8546-11ed-9f26-eb7b5cf7ef8b.html?mode=comments

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add INR (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
18.0¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $380.1M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 5000 19.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
17.0¢ 2611 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.16pm 29/04/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
INR (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.