organic food poisons thousands,kills 35., page-66

1. 1,484 Posts.
    Sorgman,
    I agree with most of what you say - wish I could learn what you know faster.

However - Geoff Lawton who was/is a student of Bill Mollison did a pilot project in Jordan in one of the most inhospitable places on earth - the first link I included. Pretty outstanding - and yes in this case they certainly did have to bring in organic matter to get it started. They also used Earth moving gear, to make big swales, (not little fallows).

Bill Mollison did work in India also, In fact, their work is most well received in 3rd world countries with water shortages, poor soils and few others willing to invest effort and ideas.

Sure is easier in fertile land, true enough. Also, due to the heavy initial investment of passion, imagination, education as well as the start up capital. Relatively few people can afford to establish large scale projects.

The later and the fewer, non - fossil alternatives are established - the greater the carnage will be, as you say. If things get nasty - most people will have their projects taken from them - that is the survivalists dilemma - that is why it is better to try and plan for as many people as possible. That is why a solution orientated attitude is needed. - also why it is more important to build a community than just a "big garden" for yourself.

I think the point here, is also that - similar to victory gardens in the second world war - a plethora of small scale food production "systems" run part time initially will develop along with rising demand.

Have I used any of Bill Mollison's Ideas? - Thanks for asking :)

About 15 years ago - he inspired me to make a Mandela (circular garden beds) in my back garden. It was easy, no digging, bugger all weeding, really good yield - amazing actually - as usual I planted way more than I needed, and gave most away. In that case I brought in all materials from outside - that was in Adelaide - the heavy mulching and under-mulch drip irrigation helped through the hot dry season.

Right now I use Bokashi EM to ferment all our kitchen waste, I have put in "square foot" garden beds at our business and each day I collect about 3-5 heavy black garbage bags full of garden clippings from 2 places where they normally burn it. Every time I take a dump, I lament not having a compost toilet....yep I am a soil freak!

Currently I live in SE Asia - where corrupt gov, would certainly confiscate my land in a heart beat if they wanted it. For me the security is in the knowledge of how to understand and re-create. Also in being able to move with more awareness in wilderness areas. I'd still be lucky to last 3 days in the jungle. It is not just about me though, I'll be gone in 40 years - be nice to leave a food forrest behind..

Work on spread-sheets and cash flow and emails 6 days a week - the time I spend on my gardening and education never feels like work - even when I am experimenting with compost piles.

I am sad, to realize how badly we need - modern agriculture. But like using Coal and Oil it makes sense to invest some of this "cheap" energy into creating more sustainable systems. - instead of mountains of plastic ect.

Will be much harder to do it later when the cheap stuff is gone. As always these resources will not be evenly divided among the people - only the rich, powerful, prepared and lucky will benefit - but if they do not want to be killed - they better learn to share and keep less.

oops better get to work!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.