Organic is not all Till and Modern Agriculture is not all Non...

1. 1,484 Posts.
    Organic is not all Till and Modern Agriculture is not all Non Till.
    I had not realized the role that round up played in Non Till until recently however - very interesting.

Permaculture is not mass food production yet, that I know off.
    It certainly is non till and it certainly is usually Organic, because it is always aiming for sustainability and surplus on minimal or zero inputs.(apart from sun and precipitation) - It grows through ground cover with interplanting of larger leguminous shrubs and trees, extra mulch can be created by pollarding before rains.

Permaculture is not just suited to highly fertile areas, in fact the more challenging the environment the more a carefully efficient design is needed.

No it cant replace Massive Fossil fuel powered systems. But there are plenty of unused or under-used spaces where it can be used to increase quality of life and soil.

Regardless of wether growing with fossil fuel products and GMO products or not.I am sure that there are few farms that could not benefit from minimizing waste through investing in design.

For me it is not so much about should we go organic or not, as - improving the cycling of nutrients, duties of water and Energy use in the systems by
    Increasing the role of design. This can decrease to some degree the use of pesticides and fertilizers and of extra watering, while further lessening erosion. This must come anyway.

I realize that farmers are some of the most practical and logical people you'll meet, but Permaculture principles are not being taught alongside Modern agriculture in universities - There is centuries of wisdom from a time when observing natural patterns, rhythms and limits were part of survival. This old wisdom is sought out and integrated alongside the latest in the study of micro - organisms, building methods and renewable energy sources to - keep energy and nutrients cycling within growing and housing systems.

Not just because it is financially rewarding - but because people give a damn

The article is promoting Non Till - It is also promoting Non-wastefulness and the need to capture and return all resources as much as possible.
    Modern Agriculture technology have enabled us to move further from Natures way of doing things, as PK sources run dry and fossil Fuels get more expensive I suspect it will be prudent to start trying to integrate more with Natural systems. ei attracting birds, lizards and frogs to help with pest control and adding manures. Companion planting, interplanting green manure crops and increasing the amount of "edge" in systems.

I realize these concepts translate better to gardens that huge installations, but that is largely a matter of imagination and cost vs reward.

Sorgman - why do you think Karl was arguing with you?
    I thought the article showed the value, place and timing for much of the ideas we have been discussing.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.