APT 0.00% $66.47 afterpay limited

Other countries next?, page-4

1. 1,738 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 879
    Europe and also Canada. Canada has a population of 37 million, with $65 billion CAD expected to be spent online this year ~ $A 73B. That's over double the Australian market.

It should be easy enough to port over a good chunk of our US merchants to Canada, like what Sezzle is meant to be doing.

The last question on the call yesterday touched on where they're thinking.

Operator

The next question comes from the line over Siraj Ahmed from Citi Group. Please ask your question.

Siraj Ahmed

Thank you. Just a quick question for Nick, regarding international expansion. Nick, just from a platform perspective, do you think there is -- the platform is ready for other markets? I'm just looking at -- if you look at most of the other markets, other big market is mainly not English speaking other than Canada, let’s say. So just keen to hear if you think the platforms is ready or there's more enhancements that needs to be done before entering other markets?

Nicholas Molnar

Look, I think there's two components to the international platform expansion. One is the core infrastructure. I think we've learned a lot over the course of going into the U.S. and the UK about how we globalize our key functions and how we scale that. And that is both from an operating perspective and a technical perspective. So I feel really good from that aspect. Malte and Carl [ph] have had a lot of experience in expanding other payment providers into non-English speaking regions.

With that said, for us it’s not necessarily just about English speaking or not, it's about the trend in the market. It's about is debit, does credit following the same trend millennial versus mainstream retail behavior. And also, what's the reach of our existing retail base income we expand into other markets by leveraging our existing platform that we have. So I don't necessarily see the language as being the barrier it’s actually the other dynamics that will determine success or not.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add APT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.