Hanrahan,If the economics don't work when compared to the...

1. 11,964 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 235
    Hanrahan,
    If the economics don't work when compared to the alternative of desal I agree with you.It is just a matter of the maths.
    My support for the Bradely Scheme is/was based on the success of the Snowey diversion and the improvement in civil engineering efficiency since then. Against this was balanced the evaporation loss and the falling cost of desal which is always the ultimate alternative.
    It is important when considering the economics of changing regional productivity like this to remember the lesson of the American railways. The opening up of the US interior sometimes didn't make sense on the revenue to the railways from freight. The government also granted the railway companies land along the railway route so that those companies could also benefit from the flow on economic effects.Developing a food bowl may be sub economic on the basis of water sold but the value increase of the land must also be considered.
    The factor you point out,which I concede is a major disadvantage, is the variability of the tropical rivers of QLD compared to those of NSW.
    Bacci

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.