well ;put reply bacci. none of us know the full story. similarly...

1. 45,566 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    well ;put reply bacci. none of us know the full story. similarly many don't know the full reasoning behind the NDIS, or don't accept the reasoning as valid.

I worked in disability as a teen and intermittently over decades. my partner worked for the state disability services for many years. I'm very familiar with the reasoning for the NDIS and how difficult it is to have respite care included in a participants NDIS plan. I'm not putting any extreme spin on the reasons for respite. its not left/right or any rainbow colour imaginable.

back in the 60/70s people with severe to moderate disabilities were kept in locked institutions. my experience showed me that intellectual ability was very difficult to assess due to comprehensions and language difficulties. the physical presentation was all that really counted.

now under NDIS people are given supports to become increasingly functional and independent. many have been able to gain employment through the supports by NDIS. the whole reasoning behind NDIS is to enable people with disabilities. lets not lose sight of this goal.

the previous state run disability services focused on short term solutions with minimal assessment of strengths and abilities. the budgets were much more tightly constrained and subjected to ideological swings more profound than economic principles. severe cuts under one govt and increases lasting only short term when limits were reduced.

at last people with disabilities are being supported to gain something that was impossible to imagine 60 years ago. freedom, equality, recognition of their strengths and abilities, and promotion of their skills to help them become capable of earning money and paying taxes instead of being permanent pensioners.

tell me what is wrong with this.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.