WFL 0.00% 0.3¢ wellfully limited

Dear Jase, Thanks for finding this website. It's important that...

1. 611 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 122
    Dear Jase,

Thanks for finding this website. It's important that we keep track of P&G innovation to better understand where OBJ fits in.

In answer to your question on dates, the first 'capture' from https://opteskin.hk occured on Sept 8th 2017: http://web.archive.org/web/*/opteskin.hk/*

I've taken a look through the website, and downloaded the user manuals. Below is my interpretation of the Opte device and where it fits with OBJ;

The Opte tip isn't magnetic.

The Opte device contains two separate containers of 'something'. The first container is referred to as the "Tone Perfecting Pod". The second is the "Preserving Disk". Both of these come in sealed containers, and must be replaced at the same time.

The only possibility for OBJ appearing in this device relates to the "separation of emulsions in situ" patent... The Opte "Tone Perfecting Pod" is said to contain 4 ingredients. There is a possibility that the 4 ingredients get apportioned according to the detected skin type or skin blemish. This separation would/could require the OBJ patent.

The function of the Opte "Preserving Disk" is described on the website (via bad English translation) as "Ensures Continuously at The Beauty Wand and Tone Perfecting Serum function Properly.". The user manual ("Opte_refill_guide_en.pdf") indicates that it comes in a sealed container. In that case, I think it is some emulsion that needs to be mixed with the contents of the Tone Perfecting Pod. So, with that in consideration, it's unlikely that the OBJ separation patent is being used. Instead, this wand probably combines the contents of the Pod and Disk in different ratios, according to the user 'need', and/or the Opte device requires the contents of the Preserving Disk to clean itself between uses. More on that below...

The manual describes that "the system needs about 3 hours to prepare for usage". The emulsions may need to be gently warmed to allow them to combine. The manual also mentions a "cleaning lock", which may be similar to when your inkjet printer needs to clean the nozzles. So perhaps the Preserving Disk contains an alcohol solution to clean the nozzles and tips.

The Tone Perfecting Pod is very much like a printer cartridge. There are 'gold electrical contacts' that would all similar function to an inkjet printer;

The 4 ingredients of the Tone Perfecting Pod are listed here https://opteskin.hk/#ingridients;
    1) Pixel-White is an active amino acid that penetrates into the skin to reduce blemishes. This ingredient is also used in SK-II myofibrate essence, confirmed by scientific research can reduce the formation of skin melanin
    2) Titanium dioxide provides additional physical protection to avoid thickening of the stain due to sun exposure (when used as instructed and used in conjunction with other sun protection measures)
    3) Ethylene glycol can help the skin to lock the water, keep the skin moist and healthy
    4) Patented mineral pigments provide you with an immediate concealer that creates natural makeup and natural beauty in a safe and silky way.

(Ingredients 2 & 3 are mentioned in this OBJ patent: https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2013033782)

The device makes a 'clicking noise' when in use, and the instructions say to keep away from pace makers. This tells me that the device is generating high voltages, similar to how the piezo element in your gas stovetop creates sparks to light the gas. The Opte has two rollers that must both be in contact with the skin. The manual is very particular about that. I'm interpreting that to mean that a small voltage spark is passed between the two rollers. User reviews might describe this as a tickling feeling. The manual has quite a few 'rules' (e.g. LIGHT PRESSURE only, NO TILTING). It all sounds pretty fiddly.

I don't think this contains OBJ tech. This is an inkjet printer for your face. If the OBJ 'separation of emulsions in situ' patent was proven to work, then the bulkiness of this Opte device could possibly be reduced. At the moment, I strongly suspect that the inkjet cartridge contains 4 separate ingredients.

All in all, I think it's great that P&G are exploring the personalisation space. I wouldn't worry too much about this Opte device - I suspect it will undergo it's own "soft launch" and then be put quietly to rest. Just too fiddly. How happy are people going to be to wait 3 hours before use if they forgot to put it back in it's special coffin after the previous use?

OBJ magnetic tech is much more user friendly.

Best
    Matt

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WFL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.