package detail missing on imported biscuits

1. 17,117 Posts.
    I recently opened a packet of, Orange Cream Biscuits, Biscotto Brand, that I have never purchased before.

I am guessing they were purchased at KMart, near the outdoor living section, where they display some incredibly cheap sweets. It was an opportunistic purchase, just random.

In fact when I was in Kmart this week, I noticed all these, 'old fashion lollies', like jubes, raspberry stars, licorice, sherbert bombs, etc ...the type of lollies that were popular in the 1960's, and rarely sighted since. All on sale for $1.00 a pack.

The orange cream biscuits tasted really strange, they were also square shaped, rather than the traditional round biscuits.

I could not find any details of who the importer was on the packet, nor where they were made.
    After lots of google searches I found the name of the importer, plus their web site, which is not legit, or works.
    I have sent the importer an email, asking where the biscuits were manufactured.
    Silly me, I thought if food was imported to Australia, they had to disclose a certain amount of information on the packaging.

I also purchased a huge tin of Wafer Biscuits at Kmart this week for $5.00...now after checking it is the same brand.
    Silly me I mistook Biscotto as Biscotti, and assumed they were Italian brand biscuits.
    At least the UK importer had their details on the tin of Wafer Biscuits....
    ***which state the biscuits are a product of Indonesia.

This is the Uk importer site
    http://www.biscotto-wafers.com/

I was surprised that under our laws, the country of origin is no longer required.

Under the ACL, there is no requirement to label goods with their country of origin. However, if a business does decide to make claims about the country of origin of goods then those claims must be accurate.
    http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/716812?pageDefinitionItemId=86167#h3_32

I am raising this subject, to make others aware of the problems with imported goods.
    Like who do I sue, contact, if there is a problem.

I have had stomach upsets, after eating a small amount of both biscuits and wafers, and wondered why.

PS I am not a big sweets eater....the biscuits, wafers are part of my experiment, to copy an old cake recipe, that had a crisp but thin, wafer in the center.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.