CSL 0.02% $295.21 csl limited

Paid Plasma Donation

1. 52 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 74

I donated plasma at my local Red Cross today, a first for me and despite some apprehension was a relatively easy and painless process. In preparing for this donation I did some research on the internet and came upon an old article in the Sydney Morning Herald written by Robert Slonim, a Professor of Economics at the University of Sydney, titled, “Life-saving Australian heroes should be paid for their donations”

disallowed/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/life-saving-australian-heroes-should-be-paid-for-their-donations-20191010-p52zdd.html

In the article Professor Slonim addresses each of the arguments that have been given for not remediating plasma donors.

I, for one would like to add, in this current economic environment can we afford to continue with not remediating donors? As I write this, I feel fortunate and privileged to have my own house (with a mortgage that I can afford), a job that allows me the flexibility and safety of working from home (knock on wood); as opposed to someone who has no savings, lost their job, facing eviction or mortgage stress, relying on job keeper / seeker payments, with no other income sources.

So, my goal in this post is to

1. Encourage everyone to donate plasma

2. Encourage you to read the article and decide for yourself. If you feel strongly please complete the online survey / petition and tell others about the survey / petition to. I have been advised by Professor Slonim that the survey / petition link in the SMH article is no longer valid so please use the following link https://sydney.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dhuVP1YTazh3ip7

Some additional information

Currently, the National Blood Authority (a statutory agency set up the Australian government) is chartered with the responsibility of overseeing the supply of blood and blood products and services for the Australian states and territories. In this capacity it has a deed of arrangement with the Australian Red Cross Life Blood giving it a monopoly in Australia to collect and distribute blood and related products. In point 3.6.1 of the deed it states, “the Blood Service relies on non-remunerated blood donors”

The National Blood Authority has also contracted CSL to manufacture and supply fractionated blood plasma products up to the end of 2026 subject to a review in 2022. CSL manufactures these products at their Broadmeadows facilities in Victoria from the plasma sourced from the Australian Red Cross Life Blood. It should be noted that there are some plasma and recombinant products that the National Blood Authority has contracted to international companies (Sanofi-Aventis, Grifols etc.) for importing into Australia who source their plasma from the US paid plasma market.

Porkchop

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2344/2344864-748da3eb19a8a3b1e6cddbc991ba32c5.jpg
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2344/2344866-6f3ad08214a62dfa4cfc98c1a078bf6d.jpg
    Deed-of-Agreement.pdf
    Supply of Plasma Derived and Recombinant Blood Products Factsheet.pdf
    Life-saving Australian heroes should be paid for their donations.pdf

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CSL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$295.21
Change
0.050(0.02%)
Mkt cap ! $142.6B
Open High Low Value Volume
$296.30 $298.20 $295.00 $229.6M 780.0K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 248 $295.20

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$295.21 42 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CSL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.