It presents a moral and ethical dilemma whether to vaccinate...

1. 2,649 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 249
    It presents a moral and ethical dilemma whether to vaccinate young children, if it is primarily in order to protect others.

Even in Indonesia, where there have been 1200 deaths of children under 18, they still represent only 1% of total deaths from covid there.

However, unless their rate of serious side-effects from vaccination is higher than occurs in the adult population, my expectation is that they will be offered vaccination - presuming for the sake of the argument, that trials also prove at least the same rate of efficacy.

However, that might be a bit tricky, because the protocol followed in the adult Pfizer trials was to only test symptomatic trial participants. (Out of the many thousands of participants, they only tested the handful who displayed symptoms).

Since most children are asymptomatic, any vaccine advantage demonstrated might prove statistically insignificant under such a protocol.

Of course, there is a sub-text that adults want children vaccinated to stop them infecting adults, so I will be very interested to learn whether the trial parameters vary from the Pfizer trials, that is, by testing all participants to detect asymptomatic infection, not just testing those who display symptoms.

When I quickly scanned the document in your link @adbm, I noted with interest, it appears Moderna at least, wants to observe whether vaccinated adults catch the virus, whether or not asymptomatic!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.