BOC 0.00% 60.0¢ bougainville copper limited

260224Updates on the Panguna Mine Legacy Impact Assessment...

1. 1,564 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    260224Updates on the Panguna Mine Legacy Impact Assessment meeting this weekNEW DAWN FM NEWSThe first Oversight Committee (OC) meeting of 2024 will be held this week,kicking off what will be an important year for the Panguna Mine Legacy Impact Assessment (PMLIA)The fourth round of community dialogues, which is undertaken by local facilitators in impactedcommunities to collect feedback and answer questions on the Impact Assessment will follow the OCmeeting in the coming months.The OC meeting comes at an important juncture as the Impact Assessment nears a major milestonewith the results of the data collected during the three field campaigns, as part of Phase 1, plannedfor presentation to impacted communities in mid-2024.The PMLIA is an independent process established following a complaint from Bougainvillelandowners against Rio Tinto and lodged by the Human Rights Law Centre with the OECD AustralianNational Contact Point for Responsible Business Conduct in September 2020. The Complaintconcerns the impacts arising from previous mining operations at the Panguna mine site whichBougainville Copper Limited, formerly majority-owned by Rio Tinto, used to operate.The PMLIA process is not associated with the recent extension to the exploration licence granted toBougainville Copper Limited by the Autonomous Bougainville Government. The PMLIA will continuewith planned activities for 2024, including the presentation of results from the field campaigns tocommunities and a final report detailing these results due this year.Independent contractor Tetra Tech Coffey conducted these field campaigns which includednumerous site inspections by different technical experts and engagement with local communities. Italso included 425 household surveys and the collection of over 200 water samples from waterwaysand drinking water sources, a collection of over 250 soil samples, and over 200 food samples. Thesamples collected were sent to accredited laboratories in Australia for analysis.Tetra Tech Coffey are spending the first half of the year analysing the data to form the Phase 1report that identifies the impacts of the Panguna mine and the effects it has had on the surroundingenvironment and the social and human rights impacts directly connected to the environmentalimpacts.Tetra Tech Coffey are scheduled to deliver a draft report to the Oversight Committee in mid-2024.The results in the draft report will then be presented to impacted communities across selectlocations to collect feedback on the findings and answer questions. Feedback will be collated fromcommunities, the Technical Sub-Committee and the Oversight Committee, who will review thereport and feedback and decide on the next steps. Recommendations will be made following this onwhat impacts from the mine need to be addressed.This will conclude Phase 1 of the Impact Assessment, the aim of which is to understand what theimpacts are from the Panguna Mine. Phase 2 of the Impact Assessment will look at how anyidentified impacts should be remedied, and cannot be determined until after the final report hasbeen delivered to the Oversight Committee.Martin Brash, the Independent Facilitator commented: “The Oversight Committee comes at animportant juncture as the Legacy Impact Assessment nears a major milestone with the findings ofthe Phase 1 study due to be presented to the impacted communities by mid-year.“The Parties to the complaint, Rio Tinto and the Human Rights Law Centre, wish to express theirappreciation to their colleagues in the OC from the Autonomous Bougainville Government, GoPNG,Bougainville Copper Limited, and Community Leaders as well as to the OECD Australian NationalContact Point for Responsible Business Conduct (AusNCP) for their support and perseverance ingetting the Legacy Impact Assessment to the current stage and look forward to further constructivediscussions that will lay the foundation for long-term solutions for the impacted communities.”The Legacy Impact Assessment is funded by the Panguna Legacy Assessment Company (PLAC) and isan independent assessment of the environmental impacts caused by the mine, and the subsequentsocial and human rights impacts directly connected to these environmental impacts. The LegacyImpact Assessment is not connected to any agenda surrounding the mine re-opening or not re-opening.The Oversight Committee oversees the entire Panguna Mine Legacy Impact Assessment process andincludes representatives from the Autonomous Bougainville Government, the Independent State ofPapua New Guinea, landowners, clan and community leaders from the affected areas, the HumanRights Law Centre, Rio Tinto and Bougainville Copper Limited.ENDS

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BOC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
60.0¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $240.6M
Open High Low Value Volume
60.0¢ 60.0¢ 60.0¢ $7.503K 12.50K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 10823 60.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
65.0¢ 80000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 14.59pm 16/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
60.0¢
  Change
0.000 ( 1.69 %)
Open High Low Volume
60.0¢ 60.0¢ 60.0¢ 1939
Last updated 14.48pm 16/05/2024 ?
BOC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.