SBM 0.00% 44.0¢ st barbara limited

paper trade, page-3

1. 49 Posts.
    Summary of first day of SBM paper trade

First off, I want to thank tigmaster for joining the discussion, I thought I was all alone! In regard to MACD I agree it is a very useful tool so we will keep an eye on it too.

Today I "bought" SBM at $1.97 (the worst price of the day, as detailed in first post below)

Now we have to set an initial stop loss. I would like other opinions as to how you do this

Guppy and others recommend that no more than 2% of trading capital is risked on any one trade. So lets assume we have a trading account with $100,000 therefore 2% = $2,000 which is the maximum we would allow to be lost on this trade.

I would allow myself around 10% of the $100,000 account for each purchase, ie $10,000.

Therefore I "bought" 5000 SBM at $1.97 at a cost of $9,850 + brokerage $20 = total cost $9870.

Conventional thought would place the initial stop at $1.75 the most recent significant low - see bottom horizontal line on chart. If we had to sell at this point we would lose 5000 x 22cents = $1,100 + brokerage, which is well within the 2% rule

However I have taken a more recent intermediate low, $1.82 as the initial stop loss, because we would lose less if the market went against us - see the higher horizontal line on the chart. If we sell at this point we would lose 5000 x 15cents = $750 + brokerage. The risk here is that a tighter stop might get me out too early.

The next part of the trading plan is to look at exits. Exit strategy is a very individual thing - and again I ask for other opinions.
    Many traders use a percentage rise as their plan, some using fibonacci percentages to determine the sell price. Others look for repeated patterns of rises in the past. However, I believe most traders use a system of trailing stops. Again there are alternative ways

So I intend to use trailing stops together with the 5/10 EMA (& MACD,thanks tigmaster)as early indicators of a short term trend reversal.

What do you think of the plan so far???

Crossover

SBM

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SBM (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
44.0¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $360.0M
Open High Low Value Volume
44.5¢ 46.0¢ 43.0¢ $2.761M 6.243M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 8700 43.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
44.0¢ 436397 4
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 18/10/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SBM (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.