WOW 0.26% $35.06 woolworths group limited

This will be a bit offtopic, but I don't know why biotechnology...

1. 166 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 267
    This will be a bit offtopic, but I don't know why biotechnology is being so talked up. I have a university degree that was specifically in biotechnology, so I have a very good understanding of the science. But I would never EVER invest in a biotechnology company (except maybe as pure short-term speculation, or to give it its correct term, 'gambling').

We just know virtually nothing about genetics or DNA or genes. Sure, we can 'read' DNA, match patterns and see what happens when we shut off or splice in certain genes. But in terms of true mastery to the point of being able to make commercial products, it's just very far away. We're at the same stage as chemistry was hundreds of years ago, when early chemists would mix together random chemicals without having any idea what would happen, or even what the product was. Though that didn't stop them trying to sell things anyway, which in some cases led to some very dangerous results than in this law-driven present world would destroy any company and the reputations of anyone involved. Along with the science itself.

Not to mention the stigma from the general public against genetically modified foods. Which is unjustified to an extent, but it also reflects that the engineers creating this food don't fully understand what they are doing at all. Sure, changing this gene might improve drought resistant or whatever, but changing that could have all manner of side effects that we just have no way to know about. Because we just don't understand it! And that applies to all kinds of biotechnology, not just genetically modified food.

Honestly, it'll be decades, possibly even centuries before biotechnology is mastered to the point of being able to safely control it to the same extent as chemistry (ie; industrial processes, medicine) or physics (ie; electricity, computer chips, engineering). The science just isn't even close to mature enough.

Some companies might get lucky, but make no mistake, they are flying blind.

So anyway, woolworths... Wait until a pullback, then buy, lol. See, this post wasn't completely offtopic!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WOW (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$35.06
Change
-0.090(0.26%)
Mkt cap ! $42.82B
Open High Low Value Volume
$34.86 $35.06 $34.77 $106.1M 3.076M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 4706 $35.05

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$35.06 9843 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 19/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WOW (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.