pattinson's tour over, page-14

1. 1,709 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    I think so re: the end of Hughes' Test Career. You just can't play the shots he has played to get out to in the circumstances he and the team have been in. I thought I wouldn't see any shots as bad as some of those he played against South Africa, but the shot he played in the first innings of the 2nd Test topped it.

Wade coming in may or may not make a difference, but I think as unpopular it is, Clarke has no choice but to bat at #3. The best batsman in the team bats there and he must lead an inexperienced batting line-up from the front. Coming in at #5 is too low.

Clarke is the captain, the most naturally-gifted batsman, so he must take responsibility for leading the team whether building a total in batting first or erasing a deficit and building a lead in batting second, or setting them up for victory batting last in a chase.

Coming in at #5 allows the opposition to take three cheap wickets before he even gets out to the middle and take even more wickets by the time he has gotten himself settled meaning there's too much pressure on him and only the tail left to bat with by the time he's ready to get going.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.