WDS 0.28% $25.13 woodside energy group ltd

PC and OSH bid - some answers, page-28

1. 14,167 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 705
    Jo20.

If your only concern is reported profit then the numbers look OK.  Risk has many forms.  The biggest risk in PNG is the unpredictability of future events politically and the lack of "rule of law" if there is a commercial dispute.   The current PM is subject to corruption investigations but he managed to sideline some of those who were investigating. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-...rate-unrelated-to-pm-arrest-says-govt/6835068

Does the Australian national government have a history of major corruption at the highest federal levels?   PNG is ranked 145th of 175 in the corruption index score (i.e. pretty bad corruption).  Australia is ranked 11th (i.e. not too bad).

Are there major mining ventures in Australia where kickbacks and favours allowed major environmental damage to occur while regulators turned a blind eye?  Any history in Australia of resource projects being nationalised?  Any breakaway provences in violent civil war? Is the Australian prime minister sacking police and judiciary to stave off their arrest by law enforcement?

PNG is not an ideal place to do business for ethical investors.  Profit to be made but perhaps at the expense of normal ethics standards and with the added sting of the fog of future political developments in the country nullifying legal contracts, permits and licences etc.  It is a risk IMO.  Not worth the money - I would be happy to invest there at a very heavy discount.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$25.13
Change
-0.070(0.28%)
Mkt cap ! $47.71B
Open High Low Value Volume
$25.25 $25.45 $25.12 $116.7M 4.627M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 7121 $25.13

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$25.19 459 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 01/10/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.