PC Security, Scams, Viruses, etc, page-8

1. 2,170 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 61
    I have "Trend maximum security" antivirus installed on my machine. It regularly does its background updates and checks.

The other day a pop-up appeared on my computer asking me to do a major Trend update. The pop - up had the Trend logo and it looked genuine. Unfortunately I was not suspicious enough when it did not mention my "name". I proceeded with the "update" through the administrator password. The "update" removed the Trend antivirus software.

After doing the requested re-boot (offline), I recognized this immediately, then checked if any files had been recently altered or any new files were added.

I then went back on line and re-installed the anti virus and changed my anti-virus password.

It just goes to show that there are some VERY cunning phishing tools out there.

This was caught just in time.

--------------
    ALSO
    A few weeks ago I received an email with logo, claiming from "NAB" bank with a link and an instruction to verify my details through this link. Needless, to say I printed this out and took it to the local branch for NAB to investigate.

--------------
    Be very aware.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.