pension at 70, page-2

1. 7,016 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 52
    I have yet to see any commentators point out a very significant thing thaat plays into this scenario. It is that by the time it gets to 70 a whole lot of people will have accumulated a lot of Super

Or snuff maybe a lot of people will have spent or dis-accumulated a lot of their Super if they reach 70 years old!
    I take your point snuff but I don't get the imagined intangible link which you and almost all political pundits make between MY SUPER which is a collection of saved moneys of mine which I've contributed to my superfund account (9% compulsory from my wages_plus any salary sacrifice_plus any after tax contrib's_plus any gov't co-contrib's] and any possible AGED PENSION I might receive at 65.5 years not in 2017 when I turn 65 but 6months later when I turn 65.5 in 2018 unless that is changed again as you point out to 70 years [in 2022].

Please explain this supposed link between the two sources of funds snuff because it is invisible to me?

One, My Super, is entirely my money in my name that I've saved over many decades and finally can get at and soon to be held by me in a bank account in my name.
    The other is a government handout to aged people, traditionally those who are poor, but now apparently 80% of those over 65 receive some kind of aged pension.

However should I become in need of government pension assistance in my old age are you suggesting only those people who have failed to ever accrue substantial Super should be entitled to an aged pension and not I who has religiously put aside Super moneys and has not been a big spender as yet?

So are you and Mr Hockey and it seems nearly every finance industry commentator and most every politician suggesting these Super account savings I have accrued through a frugal lifestyle and by scrimping and saving over 27years which are legally mine to spend on retirement as I see fit now that I am 60+ yo are somehow to be placed in escrow, or should be, until I turn 70 yo?

If so I'd like to know how politicians or public servants are going to stop me spending my money as and when I want when I retire because I wish them luck trying.

Surely snuff, you and Joe are not suggesting I should be penalised in some way [or favoured less by government in my old age] for my big spending upon retirement in comparison to others who've always struggled to have enough to get by or have been wasteful spendthrifts and have failed to accrue enough Super throughout their working life to avoid needing the Aged Pension immediately once they reach pension age?
    My aim is for my beneficiaries not to pay 15% death taxes on moneys left in a Super account in my name.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.