pensions wooduk and others

1. 6,204 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 22
    I think I added to the wrong thread so will post again.

We have until 1st Jan 2015 from when allocated pensions will be deemed as earnings by centrelink. Those established as income streams before then will not be affected.
    From jan 2015 they will be treated exactly as other income streams like shares and rental income ie deemed .
    The point is if you Wooduk close your smsf which has tax benefits as well ie no income tax and no cgt in the pension phase..and not deemed as income from centrelink you will disadvantage yourself .
    I am in a quandary at the moment as I may wish to sell property and start an smsf or use australian super with its members direct option which they will introduce later this year for allocated pensions to buy shares and invest in term deposits...this allows me some control without the smsf paperwork etc etc , still get a tax free allocated pension with no cgt etc.but there are restrictions on assets
    allocations etc.
    The problem is australian super is a union run fund and has howes as a director and maybe some other financial illiterate directors which does not enthuse me in the least. Your money is not secure , ie not guaranteed in any super fund.so bad management , another gfc or worse the fund could fold.
    After the 1st jan 2015 I wont have to worry about decision making , whatever I do will be deemed so , as of then I may as well leave my money outside of super even though I miss out on tax free income...franking credits are added to your super balance whereas franking credits outside super can only be used to offset your income tax .
    ( can be fully refunded if you earn less than the $18000 odd per annum )All our shares are in the wifes name for tax advantages , she gets the f/credits refunded each year.
    The obvious step would be to start an smsf but I have apra ato accountant fees etc etc , also if I croak it I dont think my wife could handle the running of the smsf.
    Wooduk and others please look at the calculator below and work out your own present and IF situations . Keeping money in super prior to 2015 is advantageous , lesser degree after 2015 ( 2105 add your super balance then as shares ) when looking at an old age pension from centrelink.

So the answer could be ..buy more shares in the wifes name , the excess in earnings will only attract 15% , offset by 30% f/c for a return of 15% ( less medicare) .
    The disadvantage would be a reduction in the old age benefit as the shares porfolio sum would be deemed.

I also believe that inheritance tax on your super will apply to your beneficiaries ( look at the super modules from the esuper website)

The advantage would be absolute control of my assets , no government meddling , no major accountant fees and no BS with/from regulators . The loss of the centrelink pension maybe offset by all the fees etc associated with smsf's.
    Then again I have Aust super with it's low fees but union run..

what to do !!! What to do !!!1

http://www.agepensionsolutions.com.au/calculator.html

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.