GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

Miners missing after quakeFrom: AAP April 26, 2006 Emergency......

1. 323 Posts.
    Miners missing after quake
    April 26, 2006

Emergency... A Beaconsfield Mine shaft near Launceston / File THERE are grave fears today for three miners unaccounted for after an earthquake triggered an underground rockfall at a goldmine in Tasmania's north.

The miners were 925m underground at the Beaconsfield Gold Mine, about 20km northwest of Launceston, when the earthquake struck at 9.23pm (AEST) yesterday.
    The trio was in the vicinity of a rockfall that occurred after the earthquake and their condition is unknown.

The mining company, Beaconsfield Gold Mine Joint Venture, issued a statement early today saying it held "grave concerns for their wellbeing".

Mine rescue teams were co-ordinating an underground search for the miners and emergency services were on standby.

The company said the Department of Mines and the Department of Workplace Standards had been notified.

Advertisement:
    A support centre for relatives and friends of the miners has been established at the West Tamar Council Chambers in Beaconsfield.
    Concerned friends and family can contact an emergency hotline on 03 6383 6355.

No further information was available this morning.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.