god I'm sick of "journalists" trying to speak for other...

1. 436 Posts.
    god I'm sick of "journalists" trying to speak for other people!

"business wants"

"the people want"

"australians want"

The arrogance of these statements is truly breathtaking! Let's just take this person as an example. She talks about what business wants.... Well there are hundreds of thousands of businesses in this (continent sized) country with millions of Australians representing those businesses.

My question is...

Just how in holy HELL does she know what business wants???

She doesn't! She just THINKS she does... and there is an important difference.

I accept that she may have interacted with a miniscule circle of people in business who may have said similar things (while discounting any of those who actually say the opposite..... confirmation bias anyone???)

But to extrapolate that to an all encompassing statement about what "business wants" with no qualification whatsoever is not journalism. In fact, it's exactly the kind of thing that heaps of people on here piss and moan about (rightly so) when Labor does it.

The best thing to do is to add,

"based on my utterly miniscule interaction with business, I think that.............."

at the start of every sentence. Then she is totally free to spew whatever nonsense she wants.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.