ICG 0.00% 0.4¢ inca minerals limited

Peru Election 2021, page-32

1. 9,303 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1119
    "Direct impact on miners rather than explorers" https://hotcopper.com.au/posts/53704361/single

Hi @Kalenn

I don't have any issue with the people of a country getting a healthy share of the value of their assets. This is a good thing and the best chance in many countries of gaining the capital to build a better nation (if they can organise to do so).

In this case it seems that there might potentially be a rewrite of their mining code to meet the populist candidate's goals. I've been through this in recent years in Tanzania with STA, and seen similar a number of times before. Even where the outcome has been tolerable (eg Tanzania likely now), I don't recall any case where explorers haven't been caught up in it with miners.

No one likes uncertainty and capital doesn't flow freely to exploration where the extractive value of a resource is not clear. It looks like the parliament might be able to ameliorate the populism which would be good but I wouldn't assume that we'd be safe from investors sheltering from Peru. Fortunately we have our awesome Australian projects to protect us (as did STA).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ICG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.