Pet insurance - it is worth it

1. 3,445 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 244
    Looked back for previous postings but couldn't find anything; please don't abuse if I am starting a thread on something previously discussed

Adopted a dog from the local dog's home two years ago when she was 6 months old; a gorgeous Shepherd cross

Took out pet insurance (not cheap); she developed a limp in her back right leg and then started favouring her back left; had an X-ray and found she had a spine defect so we let her run but no jumping and that seemed to fix things

A couple of months ago her back left leg would give way under her and she was obviously in some discomfort

Here in South Tassie a veterinary clinic has just installed a CT scanner for animals

Took her for the scan (cost twice as much as the one I had) and it turned out she has an additional vertebrae which was deformed; this in turn was causing another vertebrae to be pushed under a third and to cap it all. she had a massive disc swelling causing nerve problems and unless something was done she would suffer a lot and end up paralysed

The operation took over two hours and she is recovering well - she is supposed to be crated for almost 6 months so her spine can heal but we do let her have space in the kitchen/dining area

We are still $5,000 out of pocket but the insurance company approved the claim within 48 hours and paid within 10 days which staggered me after what we have heard

Pet insurance is not cheap but it is well worth it; what the insurance company have just paid equates to 10 years of premiums

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.