Phon swings to liberals on tax-top end counting $$

1. 46,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Well there you have it. The tax cuts which by LOL 2024 will give biggest dollar value cuts to the top end of town have been passed compliments of PHON and some of the other cross bench. $140billion with the date of final implementation at least two elections away. I wonder what deals have been done to secure such passage!

I wonder if like when the Australian Democrats sided with the govt over the GST the cross benchers that voted with the govt will be outed at the next election tagged as mere pawns of the liberals.

It will be interesting if PHON does the same with the Corporate tax cuts when that comes up!

Those earners at the top end should be cautious about pre-counting the potential $7000 they can get
    because by 2024 when fully implemented the govt will likely change and a new tax policy introduced that takes account prevailing economic conditions as well as a tax structure that is not skewed to the top end.

In the meantime the mass of ordinary Australians who will get cuts in the order of a piddly two cups of coffee a week will have to be happy with that, BUT never mind maybe one day aspiration will see a few of them at the top end by 2024 where they will get a $7000 cut thank you very much. Lots of cups of coffee with seven grand!

I find it amazing that the Senate has passed a measure that legislates out measures that wont come into force until two elections away. IMO its ethically wrong. They are legislating measures that could turn out to be poison pills for periods where they may well not be in govt. Sets a precedent now and the coalition will have to shut up if Labor does the same in the future. They now can legislate measures that lol don’t come into force until donkeys years into the future.

Just listening to Pauline Hanson rambling on about her decision to vote for the tax package. She seems to be saying that no way will she vote for the corporate tax cuts but given whats happened with income tax who knows what will ultimately happen. Clearly imo she has latched on to the Turnbull govt and is anti-Labor. A lot of working class people that voted for Hanson will imo be having second thoughts.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.