Collingwood Magpies make sweeping changes to roster after finals...

1. 33,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    Collingwood Magpies make sweeping changes to roster after finals loss to Port Adelaide
    Updated 1 hour 43 minutes ago

Collingwood veteran Alan Didak (centre) says he will look for another club after being released by the Magpies.

As the trade and draft frenzies loom, Collingwood has made major changes to its playing roster.

In the wake of an elimination-final loss to Port Adelaide and coach Nathan Buckley's comments the club needed to move on from the 2010 premiership era, the Magpies have released six players.

Alan Didak, Darren Jolly, Andrew Krakouer and Jordan Russell have been told they would not be offered a contract for 2014, with rookies Ben Richmond and Michael Hartley also show the door.

Always a fan favourite, Didak's Collingwood tenure lasted 13 seasons. In that time he played 218 games for the Magpies and appeared in five grand finals - including two in 2010.

"I've had an incredible time at Collingwood," Didak said in a club statement.

"We won a lot of games, won a premiership and I met some lifelong friends.

"I've got a lot to be thankful for and I know I'm going to miss playing in front of the black and white army. I owe them a lot.

Didak won the club's best and fairest award, the Copeland Trophy, in 2006 and was renowned for his exciting forward play - epitomised by his smother, goal and shimmy in 2010 grand final rematch against St Kilda.

Unfortunately for the two-time All-Australian, his attacking flair was hindered in recent seasons by persistent injuries and he was only on the field for 16 games in the last two seasons.

But, at just 30 years of age, Didak said he is now on the lookout for a new club.

"I'm not ready for retirement. The ride has another lap or two to go I hope," he said.

Unlike Didak, Collingwood was the third stop in the AFL career of ruckman Darren Jolly when he arrived at the start of 2010.

He had an immediate impact, helping the club to grand finals in consecutive years before also being hit by injuries - seeing him play only 12 games last year and nine in 2013.

Jolly played 71 matches for Collingwood and 237 in a 12-year career which also included a premiership with the Sydney Swans in 2005.

The controversial Andrew Krakouer attained minor-celebrity status during Collingwood's 2011 campaign.

After being jailed for assault in 2008, Krakouer made a slow and steady return through the ranks of the West Australian Football League (WAFL).

His comeback culminated in a three-goal effort in the 2011 grand final loss to Geelong before he was forced to become the 'comeback kid' all over again after a knee reconstruction in 2012.

Jordan Russell played nine matches in his sole season in black and white as he too was cut down by injury.

Collingwood's Football Director Rodney Eade said roster changes were simply a harsh reality of life in the AFL.

"In this game, change is constant and often rapid and it doesn't discriminate," Eade said in the statement from Collingwood.

"It comes for everyone at some stage unfortunately.

"Some of the boys made great contributions, some of them small but in their way they all gave something to Collingwood and we thank them for that."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-10/collingwood-releases-didak2c-jolly2c-krakouer2c-russell/4948966?section=sport

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.