IMU 0.00% 5.8¢ imugene limited

pig disease fears mount

1. 4,996 Posts.
    Friday, July 8, 2005. 1:32pm
    Pig disease fears mount
    Federal authorities have called in international experts to help with the diagnosis of two potential cases of the pig disease, post-weaning multisystemic wasting syndrome (PMWS).

Incidents at two piggeries sparked an investigation into what could be the nation's first case of PMWS, which the pork industry estimates could cost the sector more than $50 million.

Officials admit they found out about the potential cases more than two weeks ago, but the Department of Agriculture has defended its decision not to release details earlier, saying PMWS is hard to identify, and cannot be tested for in live animals.

PMWS is a slow wasting disease, usually starting at six weeks of age.

Results from tests on the animals from South Australia and New South Wales are expected next week.

Australia's pig producers may sue the Federal Government, if it is confirmed the disease has entered the national herd.

New South Wales pig processor George Bennett, says the industry warned the Federal Government against allowing imports and should be liable for any damage.

"So it's very, very frightening because of the way the Government has watered down our biosecurity situation," he said.

"I don't know what the industry will do but I can only say that every pig producer in Australia should individually sue the Federal Government because they have put their livelihoods at stake and they've been warned, they've been warned of this disease that it would get there."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add IMU (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
5.8¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $424.5M
Open High Low Value Volume
5.7¢ 5.8¢ 5.5¢ $954.9K 16.98M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
8 847774 5.6¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
5.8¢ 1472351 8
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 17/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
5.6¢
  Change
0.000 ( 1.93 %)
Open High Low Volume
5.7¢ 5.7¢ 5.5¢ 5009307
Last updated 15.59pm 17/06/2024 ?
IMU (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.