PLS 0.93% $3.26 pilbara minerals limited

Pilgangoora Mining Commencing mid 2017

1. 823 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Just a snippet from an article from late last year as Mr. Biddle quotes:

You'll find it in your microwave door, on your cook top, even in some long-life batteries.

Lithium is in hot demand globally and the latest test results from one West Australian mine, in the Pilbara region, suggest it could be a source of particularly high quality product.

Pilbara Minerals hopes its Pilgangoora Lithium-Tantalum project, 150 kilometres south-east of Port Hedland, will ultimately become the world's second largest source of lithium.

The world's largest lithium mine is Greenbushes in WA's south-west.

Company director, Neil Biddle, said he received encouraging results from metallurgical tests in Germany this week.

"It meets the highest specs, which in the lithium market relates to the ceramics and glass industries," he said.

"Glass and ceramics is also the biggest sector of the lithium market, at about 35 per cent.

"Despite all the hype, batteries are only about 30 per cent of the market, but they are closing the gap pretty rapidly."

Mr Biddle said long-life batteries, which are increasingly being used by the renewable energy sector, require a low grade lithium.

The higher grade lithium, used by glass and ceramics producers in Europe, Asia and America, is in short supply.

"Every home has lithium glassware and ceramics," Mr Biddle said.

"For example: your oven door, the glass door in microwaves, ceramic cook tops; any application where a higher temperature needs to be achieved.

"Lithium has a zero coefficient of linear expansion; so it doesn't expand when it heats up and that's important because if things expand they can crack."

The company is now waiting to receive the results of further local metallurgical testing, but Mr Biddle expects a scoping study to commence shortly.

"We're currently drilling flat out at Pilgangoora to expand the resource," he said.

"We're targeting 50 to 60 million tonnes of lithium and tantalite mineralisation.

"So we've got a fair bit of drilling to do yet, I think we're around 20 million tonnes at the moment.

"Ongoing with the drilling, will be more advanced metallurgical testing, marketing work, engineering work; all the things that go into building a mine."

Environmental approvals pending, Mr Biddle hopes production will commence at Pilgangoora within the next 24 months.

"The second half of 2017 would be quite realistic," he said.

We are almost at the 2nd half of the year and will be Christmas before we know it.. Only 12 months away and we could be into actually processing and selling our minerals

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.26
Change
0.030(0.93%)
Mkt cap ! $9.811B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.26 $3.31 $3.20 $93.80M 28.80M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 36000 $3.26

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.27 487563 11
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 27/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
PLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.