QAN 0.33% $6.12 qantas airways limited

pilot shortage, page-14

1. 793 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    Bossdog,

Do Virgin not have S/O's??? Do Virgin pilots just start off as F/O's at Virgin? If this is the case, then Virgin are really paying the equivalent of a S/O at QAN 113K. This discrepancy in pilot experience/training may also explain the wage differences?? i.e. I have one friend who spent almost 12 years as a S/O at QAN, and then when QAN finally expanded he moved forward to eventually become a Captain. In other words, it took him 13 years to become a F/O. That is how things are at QAN. Training for an eternity. No disrespect to Virgin pilots but Virgin and others do seem to give away "commands" after just a few short years (less than 5 in many cases I am told). I know which pilot I would rather have at the controls, a bit like having a choice about travelling in a car to Queensland with someone on their P plates or someone who has been driving for 20 years!

As for a comparison of engineers and baggage handlers wages, I will not be posting one as I do not have those figures and frankly, I could not be bothered, as I believe the wages issue is just one of many. I did post what I did know about engineers a week or two ago so I think we all have enough of a rough idea about QAN pilot and Engineer wages. I agree with you on the comment that some fresh blood is good (Dixon had to go after that failed attempted sell off, which by all reports would have seen him personally pocket $70-100m), just wish that the current fresh blood would bring about some positive change instead of trying to slash and burn/offshore everything. The anti Asian argument has been forward already, do you think Cathay, Air Asia, Silk Air, Singpore Airlines, Thai...... are going to stand by and freely give market share to RedQ or whatever they name the new venture??? I don't think so. Has Jetstar Asia succeeded, NOPE!

With regards to pay rises, why is it that QAN management see fit to say "do as I say, not as I do". Truly hypocritical.
    As I say, have a read of the Southwest Airlines story, I am sure you will see some positives there that could be applied to QAN.

With regards to QAN staff whinging about the organisation, I think it is clear that they are whinging because they are sick of working under greedy, incompetent management that are stuffing up what was once a great airline. e.g. The new 747 400N has only just rolled out of the hangars and the word is that they (management) have stuffed up again, they forgot that on a 14hr flight most of their 400 odd passengers will want to go to the toilet. By all reports there is a large shortage of toilets on board to cater for hundreds of passengers (they just keep on coming).

The business model has been slash and burn for the past ten years and it has obviously not helped the SP, so you are right Bossdog, the business model needs to change. Perhaps A. Joyce should read up on how Southwest Airlines do things?? I would dearly love to see QAN make a positive turnaround like they have. Might be good for the SP as well.

Surfrat.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add QAN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.12
Change
0.020(0.33%)
Mkt cap ! $9.972B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.12 $6.15 $6.08 $14.00M 2.290M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
10 68170 $6.10

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.12 25980 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 09/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
QAN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.