Pilot suicide -- we must be vigilant.

1. 47,086 Posts.
    This is an extract from a girl's tale from news.com. I am deliberately avoiding her personal issuesand howthey would be better in a perfect world. Of course they would be.

I am looking at this strictly as someone who flies under someone else's command, not as the driver. Would I want this self professed anorexic to fly me around? No!

AT Hayley Purdon’s high school, to her it appeared almost every girl was engaged in some form of self-harm or battling low self-esteem.
    “Everyone knew, but we didn’t know what to do,” she said.
    Hayley had bulimia, she had recurring suicidal thoughts and admits she also self-harmed but she struggled on in silence, feeling completely alone in the world.
    “I felt I had to conform to an ideal,” she told news.com.au.
    “I went to a school where there was a lot of pressure to do well in your grades, sport and music. I developed an eating disorder to cope with changes.”
    After school she said things got much worse. Hayley began pursuing her dream of becoming a pilot by studying aviation at university, but couldn’t afford the course and had to drop out.

Aircraft are, today, VERY reliable and the pilots have all manner of aids to keep them on the right path, so to speak but it is certain pilot suicide caused the German Wings disaster and I find it hard to believe anything else for MH 370. This is nothing new but clearly becoming a greater risk.

Should we be "inclusive" and not judge pilots' mental state using strict criteria?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.