QAN 0.49% $6.06 qantas airways limited

pilots-fwa , page-13

1. 3,634 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 331
    Interesting dialogue so far people.
    I don't have too much to add opinion wise but I'll get straight to the point.

I'm a former pilot, not of the 'heavy iron' that Qantas flies such as Boeing and Airbus (scarebus), I flew in what is termed G.A. (General Aviation) for a few years. I spent about 12 years in aviation altogether in various roles but my passion was flying. I was never lucky enough to have the uncle in the air force or on the Qantas Pilot Selection Panel so I flipped burgers, sold toasters, answered phones and dug ditches for many years to get my licence only to suffer rejection after rejection for jobs because I didn't have the right command / instrument / multi-engine time. I went to Africa but couldn't get a work permit and didn't want to work ilegally so I returned.

I persued the dream until I hit a mini-jackpot and got a gig with a small operator in W.A. who had some work with the mining industry - little hours and poor pay.

Other pilots in neighbouring outfits worked for peanuts flying unsafe overloaded aircraft. It was heartbreaking to see 'the dream'. I came back and worked for ATC at Sydney Airport. Worked with a lady whose father was a Qantas senior captian and could get her in anytime no problems but she didn't want any of it. I burned inside...if only my father was in the same capacity...
    I left the industry a few short years later. I could have had 2 or 3 houses as investment but it all went into flying.
    Many other guys I know fell by the wayside too. I only know one guy who made it to Qantas as a pilot but he worked very hard for it...but it cost him a couple of marriages. Sometimes when you want something bad enough you're willing to exchange really precious stuff like family for it.

In short, these Qantas pilots can be spoiled brats, if only some of them realised how tough guys are doing it in aviation just to get to where they are. They're like rock stars who quickly forget the days they were playing the club circuit without money to pay the rent. They aren't in a monopoly industry, there are many other airlines that are happy to take their work off their hands and they're also stacked up with resumes of pilots asking for work.

I do admit Qantas pilots are well trained, have to complete full medicals every 6 months, be insured to the teeth, do endless simulator hours and drills but sometimes I wonder if a little lack of oxygen is compromising their reasoning skills here.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add QAN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.06
Change
-0.030(0.49%)
Mkt cap ! $9.874B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.08 $6.13 $6.03 $36.94M 6.090M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
5 64244 $6.06

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.07 17434 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 24/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
QAN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.