ping stolwyk, page-5

1. 5,800 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 96
    re: profanity filter /// stolwyk I agree with dlux. I see no need for a profanity filter at all. Especially a computerized one that knocks back words like "pa*abolic" because of the contained four letters denoting a middle Eastern racial group. If people are so touchy about the occasional word like sh*t or whatever, then human moderators could surely ask the offending poster to tone it down a bit. That would be much more civilized, and much less of the "Big Brother" attitude.

I mean to say - this is 2006, and although I'm well into my "late middle-aged" period (!) I see no offence in good-natured banter that may include a few words that used to be taboo. Even TV these days uses all the so-called swear-words imaginable, not that it is necessarily a good thing.

As I posted before, I inhabit three forums, and on the other two, there is no such thing as a profanity filter, and it's just not needed. Now that says something about either the posters on HC, or the Moderators and their sensibilities.

I agree that at least pointing out where the supposed 'profanity' is in the post is an improvement, but I'd submit that the whole thing should be scrapped anyway. It's just not needed. It is still more of a frustration than a help.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.