PLATINUM 0.72% $840.00 platinum futures

platinum in 2013 deficit say johnson matthey

1. 1,494 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 150
    Johnson
    Matthey Platinum 2013 Slide Presentation

"Johnson Matthey's semi-annual Platinum reviews are the definitive record of platinum group metal supply and demand" (Released 13 May 2013)

"Platinum market in deficit of 375,000
    oz"

Platinum Market to Remain in Deficit in 2013 -Johnson Matthey

"The main driver of platinum's supply deficit last year was a sharp drop in supply of the metal from top platinum producer South Africa, where a series of violent mining strikes resulted in a sharp drop in platinum production and the loss of 50 lives. Supply of platinum from the country fell last year to its lowest level since 2001, at 4.095 million ounces, as over 750,000 ounces of platinum production was lost due to strikes, said Johnson Matthey."

"South African mining companies have been under pressure in recent years from rapidly rising costs that made some mines unprofitable. The threat of mine closures and related job losses have led to strikes and government mediation."

The Dire State of the Platinum-Palladium Miners

Some background reading on industrial unrest in South Africa:

Business confidence surveys paint gloomy picture of South Africa

IMF warns SA of ‘threat to stability’ if growth bid falters

Platinum mining sector unrest in South Africa starts to heat up

South Africa’s politics of unemployment

On the other hand, future platinum demand for autocatalyst use in cars is hard to ascertain, precious metal prices are stagnating right now, and the GFC is having a slowing effect generally.

However, if you're interested, ASX:ETPMPT is one option for playing platinum, although you'd have to be a believer in the security of "paper platinum" over your investment timeframe.

If anyone knows of an ASX-listed platinum miner stock with mines located outside of South Africa and Zimbabwe, I'd be interested to know please.

The only Australian deposit I know of is the Panton project held by Panoramic Resources, but PAN is primarily a nickel play, and anyway Panton isn't being developed.

Asx-listed companies Platinum Australia, Aquarius Platinum, and Zimplats are ruled out, because their mines are in Africa or they've gone bust.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLATINUM (NYMEX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.