AKP 0.00% $6.20 audio pixels holdings limited

Please kindly explain, page-54

1. 2,534 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2544
    Hi DollarBaller, and welcome to the discussion.

Your qualifications to assess and debate AP’s performance are impressively commendable. So is your scepticism.

Here are a couple of thoughts.

I have a long record of complaining on this forum that AP’s management falls notoriously short when it comes to providing useful technical and operational information that would enable shareholders to develop a good and clear picture of what is happening in the factory and in the fab. Fred Bart seems to write most of the releases, and his take on what needs to be said about the actual developments in order to provide a fulsome and rounded disclosure of the nature of the problems and their solutions is woefully inadequate in my opinion. He is not a technologist. He is a businessman and seemingly a very capable one at that. He is given the facts by the tech people but he seems to express them in very terse businessman speak not techno speak. What he discloses therefore is not necessarily technically comprehensive, balanced, or informative, and he misses out salient facts and background info that a more technologically informed party would want to know. Bart is reputed to be a professional poker player - and it shows. The announcements are typically a bare page in length whereas the same information ought to be expressed less tersely and with more “colour” and background information, probably in 3 pages or more with a few diagrams and graphs to make the points clear and less reliant on words. Rarely do we get enough information to really tell us where things are at. It is only by piecing together fragments, hints, and shades of meanings that we can clarify the picture. In short: AP’s BOD is not very good at communicating what they do. Their explanation: AP has competitors who would be very keen to know more details than they are willing to make public. Is this paranoia or just waffle to escape having to write a properly informative and detailed release? I do not know. I have urged management to provide more and better information, but when I have done so repeatedly they stopped replying to my emails.

The picture I have assembled indicates one important fact: management confidently believe they have a product that produces plenty of sound volume and exceptional frequency range and fidelity from single and arrayed chips. What they have said is that it will be a game changer for the audio industry. They believe, and act as if they believe, that it is capable of delivering the kind of performance we are all expecting it would do if they were going to try to demonstrate and market it as a revolutionary product. If it does not do so then management & top 20 holders, who are the biggest owners by far of the company, are going to be the ones most hurt by their failure to see it in time. This indicates more than anything that they would have to be very sorely mistaken about the technology and have been working in a truth vacuum for a long time! From a non technical perspective I find this highly implausible. This is me playing poker.

Your conjectures need concrete answers which I am not in a position of informed competence to provide. However your comments about various considerations do not all ring true to me, but I cannot construct an adequate argument about them because this is not really my field. (I've spent 45yrs as a chemical analyst / selling / supporting / training and acting as a consultant in hi-tech chemical analysis instrumentation - LC/GC/MS/AA/UVVis/FTIR etc.)

For example, I think you state that the fundamental ultrasonic frequency of the MEMS as being 4KHz which I believe to be incorrect. It is claimed to be 100KHz, with a clock frequency twice that (stated in the presentations). As the power of the sound is based on pushing and pulling air by combining all of the many pushes and pulls of the MEMS piston this makes a significant difference to the net air pushing that can be produced (i.e. music).

I also believe that the MEMS is open to atmosphere at the rear, so its ability to move air is not likely to be limited by the arguments you posit for it. Bear in mind that AP has repeatedly said that they have been very pleasantly surprised by how much more sound was produced than they had predicted from the basic physics considerations.

AP claims that the SPL is significantly higher than was expected (~20dB). The planned - and announced - description of the tech is to produce sound with a flat, linear-across-all-frequencies SPL to recreate the sound that was originally recorded, with extremely high fidelity. It will do this with very low power consumption and unrivalled simplicity of implementation. If it does this it will indeed be a game changer.

I believe that the featured sound file we have heard (we have supposedly heard two different files) may have come from the partial structure, not the full structure MEMS. As the partial structure is only driven in one direction and the membrane is returned possibly by the elasticity of the flexors, as a result of which we have also been told that this structure delivers significantly less SPL than the full structure. The partial structure however delivers higher SPL at lower frequencies, making it suitable as a secondary product for a different application area. This in itself could explain why the sound volume is low, and the background so noisy.

But I could be wrong in my speculations, even if this is the result of the inadequate information that has been released, coupled with my lack of expertise in the technical field of audio physics. So again, while I welcome any genuine expertise and light you can shed on the technology, I suggest you may need to look again at the performance specs that have been disclosed and qualify them as being reasonable or impossible based on the performance of the MEMS. I sense that you are not understanding how it works. Unfortunately you are not going to be able to do that until we actually have genuine demos of the packaged chips and full performance specs available. Hopefully that will not be long.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AKP (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.