I keep going on about it because they need to get the...

1. 62,486 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 313

I keep going on about it because they need to get the message.

The biggest roadblock in the way of dealing with Indigenous disadvantage is a total lack of accountability for the various programs and organisations meant to be helping Aboriginal Australians.

We keep doing the same things and expecting different results.

It has to change.

And it should start with a full inquiry into the Central Land Council.

This council’s issues are indicative of many of the deep-seated problems with many land councils, but in this case, we have brave locals willing to stand up and demand change.

I stood in Alice Springs this week alongside Arrernte elders and traditional owners Veronica Ngkwarraye Lynch, Margaret Ngkwarraye Lynch, and Sabella Ngkwarraye Turner asking the Prime Minister to hold this council accountable.

This council has a long history of bullying and poor governance and these three brave women have had enough.

They spoke out after their treatment during a council meeting in July where they say they were asked to leave.

For too long the Central Land Council has been the focal point for group and family conflict, with many members telling me privately that this sort of conflict is weaponised by members to achieve certain goals.

There are some good Land Councils as well, but the opacity with which they operate makes it difficult to separate the good from the bad and the successful from the unsuccessful.

But if we want to truly help Indigenous Australians, that starts with properly understanding what is happening in these councils, which are often the most important organisations in the lives of some of our most marginalised Australians.

If the Prime Minister won’t listen to me because of politics, he should listen to Veronica, Margaret, and Sabella.

They’re the Indigenous voices of local communities he supposedly wants to hear from.

In fact, the Territory is full of women who could teach Albo a thing or two.

Just look at last weekend's election!

New chief minister Lia Finocchiaro's Country Liberal Party wiped the floor with Labor.

Why? Because, just like Albo, the former Labor government would not listen.

They refused to listen to locals in Alice Springs and across the Territory living in fear because Labor refused to tackle crime.

Congratulations to Lia and the entire CLP team.

I look forward to working with you on REAL solutions.

Yours for REAL solutions,

JP_Signature.png?1706826316

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price
    Senator for the Northern Territory
    Shadow Minister for Indigenous Australians

About

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price is your Senator for the Northern Territory, and the former deputy mayor of Alice Springs.

JP on FacebookJP on TwitterJP on LIJP on Insta

Contact

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price
    Country Liberal Party (NT)
    1.229 McMillans Road, Jingili
    NT 0810

Tel: (08) 8996 9259

Email: [email protected]

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.