Tanya Plibersek’s argument over McPhillamys gold mine is full of...

1. 28,473 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 23

Tanya Plibersek’s argument over McPhillamys gold mine is full of holes, says miner Regis Resources

Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek’s claims that there are “30 potential options” for a tailings facility for the now-cancelled Blayney gold mine are factually incorrect, mining giant Regis Resources says, and they show a “breathtaking lack of understanding”, according to a peak minerals body.

It comes as NSW Premier Chris Minns ramped up pressure on his federal Labor colleague to rethink the move, while Treasurer Daniel Mookhey warned of a $200m budget hit and a former land council leader accused Ms Plibersek of being “hoodwinked”.

When announcing that she had blocked the tailings dam because of Indigenous cultural heritage concerns, Ms Plibersek said the company had “indicated” that it had four sites and “30 potential options” for the tailings site.

She reiterated her claim on Thursday that “four different sites with about 30 different designs” remained possible to salvage the McPhillamys Gold Project.

“I think it is terrific that (Regis is) looking at those alternative designs and sites, and given they’ve said publicly that there’s $7bn worth of gold in the ground, it certainly sounds like it’s worthwhile to redesign,” the minister said.

However, Regis Resources chief executive Jim Beyer said the minister’s claim were inaccurate.

“We do not have options available … we’re virtually back to square one,” Mr Beyer told The Daily Telegraph’s Bush Summit.

According to the proposed tailing facility’s feasibility study, three of the four sites are ruled out given they too would overlap with a section 10 declared area.

The fourth site, further away from the mine, was the option deemed most unsuitable for the facility given a more detrimental impact to the environment and community, and its engineering feasibility.

The Australian understands that 30 “potential options” emerged by varying the proposed facility within those four sites.

NSW Minerals Council CEO Stephen Galilee said Ms Plibersek’s belief that the facility could “just be moved elsewhere” showed a “breathtaking lack of understanding” to the “very technical, lengthy and complicated process of mine design and assessment”.

“This is not just a simple cut-and-paste process,” he said, adding that the government needed to reverse its decision if it “actually believed the mine could go ahead”.

“The project was designed and assessed over many years, approved by the NSW government, and received all commonwealth approvals, except one.

“Even if another mine layout was possible, it would likely take at least five years or more for design and assessment, with the risk of another spurious last-minute veto from Ms Plibersek.”

Mr Minns said he hoped his government could fast-track changes that would help to get the mine open.

“I’ve personally spoken to Regis … we want it to go ahead. We think it’s too important for Blayney, for regional economies … at the end of the day, like any premier … we just want this to get up,” he told the Bush Summit.

Mr Minns said the original development application for the mine was submitted in 2019 and that he didn’t want an alternative site to take another five years to pass through the state planning systems.

At budget estimates on Thursday, Mr Mookhey said the government could lose a potential $200m in royalties if the mine didn’t go ahead.

“It’s fair to say that the royalties assumptions that are contained within the budget are reflective of the expected extractions of operating mines over the next four years,” he said.

“The applicant has made the point that, should such a mine operate, they expect to be paying circa $200m in royalties.

“Given the mine has not got approval to proceed, as is in respect to its tailing dams, the impact on the economy spans the impact in the construction phase, the operational phase, the export phase, as well as an impact on the state’s royalties income.”

It comes after Roy Ah-See, a former chair of the NSW Aboriginal Land Council, condemned Mr Plibersek’s decision, saying Indigenous culture was “hijacked for hidden agendas”.

“This decision has got me baffled,” he told the Bush Summit, adding the Orange Local Aboriginal Land Council hadn’t opposed the mine, while a smaller group which advised Ms Plibersek – the Wiradyuri Traditional Owners Central West Aboriginal Corporation – did.

Tanya Plibersek’s argument is full of holes, says miner Regis Resources | The Australian

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.